Since 1901

The Pine Orchard Yacht & Country Club is a private club located at the edge of the water along the beautiful Connecticut shoreline. Our club caters to the social and athletic interests of our members and their families and has done so since its inception over a hundred years ago.

The Club was founded in 1901 by Alden M. Young with a group of Pine Orchard friends who, after years of their own families enjoying their summers here, came to a consensus that they all desired to create something more permanent. Hence, the decision was made to form a club for social and athletic interests, and to build a clubhouse for such gatherings, as well as courts for tennis and links for golf.

The first meeting of the Pine Orchard Country Club, Inc., took place on September 7, 1901. The purpose of the corporation was to "promote outdoor sports, and particularly the game of golf, and to provide for its members means for the enjoyment of the same."

In 1914, a group of members organized the Pine Orchard Improvement Company, whose goals included relocation of the clubhouse, expanding the golf course and creating a suitable harbor.

In the winter of 1915/16, the Pine Orchard Club, Inc., moved the building using a team of oxen. They pulled the clubhouse across the snow and ice that winter to its current location.

Plans to add two wings of locker rooms, a new upper promenade deck that stretched all around (and which afforded marvelous views to those who strolled its length), a terrace and a putting green on the water side were soon implemented.

And so, the basic clubhouse has been in place now for over a hundred years.